Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Poetry Sounds

At first, I thought rhyme was the repetition of sounds in words that are in the same stanza of a poem, but I learned that rhyme is the repetition of accented vowel sounds, and all the sounds that follow them, in words that are close together in a poem.

An example of a poem with end rhyme is below. The title is "Trio", and the author is Katherine Foreman. The rhyme scheme is ABCBADEDAFGF.

Trio

Pair up, square off
One to take around
Dance with, pose with, talk a lot with
Go out on the town.

Pair up, square off
One to make a show
Tease and flirt and whisper things
That no one else can know.

Pair up, square off
One to be a friend
Wait in shadows silently
And hope it all will end.

-Katherine Foreman

On my poetry pretest, I was at grade-level. On my posttest, I hope that I will be above grade-level.




No comments: